ExtraHop is an excellent solution for real user monitoring (RUM)—it analyzes every real user transaction, scales to handle more than 400,000 transactions per second, and correlates front-end activity with back-end performance. ExtraHop does not just tell you what users are experiencing, it also tells you why. In short, the ExtraHop platform delivers on the goals promised by real user monitoring (RUM) while offering the advantages of a complete IT operational intelligence solution.
Essential Components of RUM
Real user monitoring (RUM) solutions focus on three primary goals:
- Proactive identification of key customer pain points in production deployments
- Risk reduction during application and infrastructure changes
- Improved customer experience
Operational Intelligence for RUM
ExtraHop provides the real-time operational intelligence that IT teams need to monitor and manage the experience of real users. IT teams use the ExtraHop platform to achieve important goals for RUM:
- Go beyond just HTTP with application-fluent analysis, correlating performance across application tiers, including the network, load balancers, databases, and storage, to quickly identify and resolve the cause of poor user experience.
- Break down user segments including by browser, mobile platform, geographic location, time stamp, and specific parts of the application accessed.
- Extend monitoring to new applications with ease using auto-discovery, auto-classification, and auto-mapping and avoid costly version-dependent agent configuration and customization.
- Scale monitoring to application demand with real-time 20Gbps analysis and physical and virtual appliances that run wherever your application does, either in the physical datacenter or the cloud.
- Identify issues and misconfigurations in test before new application rollouts and continuously monitor the rollout process in real-time.
- Baseline application performance based on hourly, daily, and weekly trends and set alerts to notify the right people if application performance deviates.
What makes an effective real user monitoring (RUM) solution?
To completely capture real user experience, RUM solutions must scale to analyze every transaction in real time, not just a sample set of transactions.
RUM solutions must go beyond simply alerting when something goes wrong—they must correlate real-time metrics from across all tiers of the application delivery chain, from the front-end web servers to database and storage, so that IT teams can quickly pinpoint and resolve the root cause of performance problems.