Networked storage systems play an increasingly important role in overall application performance. Business productivity solutions such as Microsoft SharePoint Server and Microsoft Exchange Server, for example, store terabytes of critical business documents and files in network-attached storage (NAS) systems. If those storage systems perform network backups at the wrong time or need to be taken offline to fix file corruptions, employees and customers suffer the results immediately.
Many traditional application performance management (APM) tools do not offer detailed storage metrics. For example, most APM tools include storage response times in their database response time metrics, obscuring visibility into this crucial component of application performance. Infrastructure management tools report aggregate storage metrics, such as IOPS or MBps, that can provide a rough estimate of overall storage health but are not useful when trying to investigate specific slow transactions.
Dedicated storage performance monitoring tools such as those provided by storage vendors can supply detailed views into their own storage product performance but are not accessible to the entire IT organization and do not offer the cross-tier visibility needed to quickly triage and troubleshoot modern-day application performance problems.
Real-Time CIFS Performance Monitoring
By passively analyzing every CIFS transaction passing between the NAS storage system and other application components, the ExtraHop platform enables IT teams to monitor CIFS performance, establish performance baselines, and then automatically receive early-warning alerts for anomalous activity. The ExtraHop platform continuously monitors CIFS performance without imposing any system or network overhead and provides useful information for eliminating disk contention and pinpointing corrupt files, for example.
The ExtraHop CIFS Module provides IT teams with detailed, real-time visibility into CIFS performance on NAS systems, including responses, errors, reads, writes, and locks. The ExtraHop platform also provides summary statistics for errors, methods, users, and files. In addition to these detailed CIFS performance metrics, the ExtraHop platform also provides correlated, cross-tier analysis for the network, web, and database so that IT professionals can isolate and remedy issues more quickly. With real-time visibility into network and storage performance, IT teams can correlate storage performance degradation with network performance issues, for example. Read more about ExtraHop platform capabilities for networked storage.
- Fix problems before they impact end users with proactive early-warning alerts when storage performance deviates from historical trends
- Drill down into CIFS transaction metrics to see the specific file and user for individual transactions—identifying when a problem occurred, who was affected, and which file caused the issue
- Continuously monitor all storage transactions without relying on invasive host-based instrumentation or probes
- Detect inefficient clients or applications that perform unnecessary fetches of files and directory meta-data
- Track compliance and support audits by monitoring the reads, writes, or deletes in specific directories on an individual user basis
- Identify commonly accessed files suitable for WAN optimization based on a full history of usage patterns
- Plan adequate capacity by measuring baseline storage performance
- Optimize storage performance and tune settings with complete storage performance metrics that identify problem areas
- Gain correlated network-level views that show the impact of network performance on storage systems, such as overloaded IP network interfaces