Security Spotlight: How to Detect Memached DDoS Attacks Early with ExtraHop
Memcached and other NoSQL (Not only SQL) technologies help Enterprise IT teams to maintain incredibly fast web-application performance even as user queries and data volumes scale exponentially. Pioneered by social-media and other web companies, NoSQL data-caching technologies such as memcached now are used by Enterprise IT teams in retail, finance, and other industries that must manage unprecedented volumes of data. As these IT teams build data caches into their application infrastructure, they create a new data-cache tier that is invisible to traditional application performance management (APM) tools. Without visibility into how caching has improved performance or what elements require tuning, IT teams can waste their investment.
Monitor and Tune the Performance of Memcached
The ExtraHop Memcache Module records and analyzes L7 transaction-level details for objects stored in memcached at up to sustained network speeds of 20Gbps. This real-time visibility into memcached traffic is unique to the ExtraHop platform. Equipped with these insights, your IT team can troubleshoot and tune memcached performance as well as gain the early warning needed to proactively address potential problems.
The ExtraHop Memcache Module gathers a wide range of metrics, including the following:
- Request/response transaction rates. Create baseline metrics for memcached transactions and set alerts for changes.
- Error rates and details. Gain visibility into errors on memcached servers.
- Method breakdowns. Track memcached client methods (get, set, delete, and so forth).
- Hits versus misses over time. Evaluate the efficiency of your cache.
- Value-size breakdowns. Ensure that value sizes are distributed evenly.
- Response-timing breakdowns. Monitor server response times for memcached.