The ExtraHop WAN Optimization Bundle includes a collection of triggers, custom pages, and alerts that enable you to efficiently monitor your Wide Area Network (WAN). This guide provides basic instructions for deploying the WAN Optimization Bundle and includes the following topics:
- Deploying the Bundle
- Customizing Alerts
- Modifying Flex Grids
- Modifying the WAN Branch Comparison Charts
- Viewing Custom Pages
This Bundle Requires the creation Pseudo Devices which are created by grouping a set of user defined IP addresses. One Pseudo Device should be set up per branch you are monitoring. Due to this, you will lose device level visibility into the individual devices within the larger group. It is recommended that you do not perform this on existing ExtraHop deployments that require individual device visibility.
Deploying the Bundle
To download and deploy the bundle file:
- Download the bundle here.
- Go to the ExtraHop Web UI and click Settings.
- Click the Bundles icon
- Click Upload to upload the bundle using the file explorer.
- Click Choose File and select the saved WAN Opt Analysis Bundle file.
- Click Upload.
- Click Apply. Once the bundle is applied, a confirmation message appears.
- Click OK to exit the bundle window.
- The bundle appears in the Bundle list.
- Set up pseudo devices.
- Go to the Admin UI and click Capture.
- On the Capture Configuration page, click Pseudo Devices.
- Go to the Admin UI and click Capture.
When you create pseudo devices to represent the branches you want to monitor, ensure you use the 22:00:00:00:00:xx naming convention for the MAC's in order to effectively use the triggers in this bundle. For example, 22:00:00:00:00:01, 22:00:00:00:00:02, etc.
Also, 22:00:00:00:00:01 MUST be used for the main Data Center Branch.
- In the left navigation panel, click Devices.
- On the All Devices page, search for the mac address of the pseudo device you created.
- Click the device name. On the device page, click the edit button next to the Name field and change the name of the pseudo device mac address 22:00:00:00:00:01 to Branch 1. Change the name of pseudo device mac ...02 to Branch 2 and so on.
- Search for devices you wish to monitor
- If pseudo devices were created you can search for them via the MAC address
- You can also rename the pseudo devices here.
Note: By default, all Triggers, Alerts, and Pages are Assigned to All, meaning they're assigned to all devices, including pseudo devices you defined.
- You may wish to customize alerts in order to leverage a variety of metrics so that you can obtain meaningful data through flex grids.
- If desired, customize alerts by navigating to Alert History page in the left-hand navigation
- Click Configure Alerts in upper right
- Select the alert you want to modify. All alerts in this bundle are named WAN Opt Analysis - [...]
- Under Alert Settings tab modify values at bottom of page based on the specific device
Note: While you don't need to customize every alert, it can be helpful to start with a metric of interest for which you have trend data in order to make flex grids more useful (for example, Net Bytes In).
Modifying Flex Grids
- Navigate to the Flex Grids page in the left hand navigation
- On the all devices page, in the Find text box, search for the word "Branch" for a list of the branches you defined.
- Click the device (s) from the list that you want to monitor via the Flex Grids
- Click the Flex Grids tab
- Click the green circle with the plus sign
- Check all of the WAN Opt Analysis - [...] boxes
- You can also filter using "WAN Opt Analysis"
- Flex Grids are viewed from the Summary page in the left hand navigation
Modifying the WAN Branch Comparison Charts
In order to view the WAN Analysis Overview page, you need to assign all of the branches to the chart.
- On the WAN Branch Comparison page, click Edit Page.
- Clear the gear icon on the Throughput by Branch chart
- Branch 01 is already populated in the list. Click New and make a new entry for each subsequent branch.
- Click the gear icon on the Branch 01 Round Trip Time (RTT) chart.
- Branch 02 is already populated in the list. Click New and make a new entry for each subsequent branch.
Viewing Custom Pages
To view the WAN network custom pages and add them to the Summary page:
- Navigate to the Networks page in the left hand navigation
- Select the network that you want to monitor
- In the upper left navigation bar, select the WAN Opt Analysis - Overview page.
- Select WAN Branch Comparison page
- Click Add to Summary in the upper right corner of each page you want to add to the Summary page.
To view the individual device level pages and add them to the Summary:
- Navigate to the Devices page in the left navigation panel.
- Search for the devices that you want to monitor and select the checkbox next to each of them.
- Click Add to Page to Summary in the upper right corner.
This page is now accessible from the Summary page in the left navigation panel