Some devices communicate over non-standard ports.
Here is a simple bundle to help you begin collecting health and performance metrics for L4 / TCP for these devices.
If you want to combine the custom TCP ports you specified above (step 3) with standard L7 protocols (HTTP, DB, DNS, etc.) check out this bundle.
- Download the bundle.
- Apply the bundle.
- Edit the trigger "Sample TCP Application". Specifically, edit these three variables: appName, startPort, and endPort.
- Assign the trigger "Sample TCP Application" to a device group or device(s) of interest.
- Wait. This is the hardest part. (i.e., give the Application a couple of minutes to instantiate and do all its behind-the-scenes magic)
- Click Applications. Make sure your time interval is "Last 30 minutes". You should see the application name you specified in step 3 above.
- Drill into the Application. Behold, L4 metrics.