Thanks to David G. for building out this excellent use case! Compression can be a low-hanging fruit in web optimization, especially for text files. The following bundle checks for uncompressed files and breaks out per-URI metrics for easy identification of possible applications for optimization.
Look for more web optimization triggers and bundles coming down the pipe!
What you get:
Compressible Traffic Check
Dynamic Group (1):
Image 1: Dashboard shows uncompressed data passing over the network that could take advantage of compression
Image 2: Drill down shows uncompressed traffic broken out by URI
- Download the bundle file
- Upload the bundle to your ExtraHop appliance using the file explorer. (Settings -> Bundles -> Upload)
- If you have no other HTTP Server dynamic group, check box "Apply 1 included assignment" to assign trigger to dynamic group. Otherwise you will need to manually apply the trigger to your device group.
- Click Apply. You should see "Ok: bundle applied successfully"
- (Optional) Configure the Trigger: Edit the triggers by modifying the USER_SET values within the trigger code
- Navigate to Network page, click through the entire network--will include a count of your VLANs--and click on the Compressible Traffic custom page on the left-hand nav.