The NPD Group Monitors Big Data Applications, Including a Sybase IQ Data Warehouse, with ExtraHop
SEATTLE, WA – December 11, 2012 – ExtraHop Networks, the leading provider of network-based application performance management (APM) solutions, today announced the launch of its SAP® Sybase® IQ Module designed to give IT organizations operational intelligence into Big Data analytics and data warehousing environments. This advance from ExtraHop enables IT teams to monitor the performance of all Sybase IQ queries in real time without profilers or other host-based instrumentation, which are costly and add significant performance overhead to systems. Sybase IQ was recognized by Gartner as a Leader in the 2012 Magic Quadrant for Data Warehouse Database Management Systems, and the recent release included support for the open-source MapReduce and Hadoop programming frameworks.
The ExtraHop Sybase IQ module was built to meet the needs of IT organizations running large Big Data applications. The NPD Group uses the ExtraHop system to monitor the performance of its Sybase IQ data warehouse application, which enables the company to provide consumer and retail market insights to manufacturers and other businesses.
"The NPD Group, a global information and advisory-services company, chose ExtraHop to monitor our data warehouse because of the visibility it provides, not just into our data warehouse but also the supporting infrastructure," says Babu Kudaravalli, Executive Director of IT Operations at the NPD Group. "Given the scale of our Big Data deployment, traditional monitoring approaches would not be feasible. ExtraHop provides an elegant solution that requires no agents or overhead."
According to IDC, an estimated 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are created every day, and upward of 90 percent of the world's data has been created in just the last two years. For many companies, business success depends on turning that data—both structured and unstructured—into actionable information. Business-intelligence and data-warehousing applications are the key to unlocking the potential of Big Data, but they pose challenges for IT Operations teams because they entail more traffic, more transactions, and more complexity for back-end IT systems.
With the ExtraHop Sybase IQ Module, IT organizations that rely on Sybase IQ data-warehouse applications gain complete operational intelligence for their Big Data environment:
- Continuously monitor all Sybase IQ queries in real time with visibility into query details, response time, and size of responses
- Empower DBAs with the data they need to ensure performance and make data-warehouse tuning decisions
- Correlate data-warehouse performance with performance of the network, web tier, and the underlying SAN
- Continuously monitor iSCSI transactions for early warning of SAN latency issues that can affect data warehouse performance
- Measure performance improvements and justify investments in Big Data technologies
- Track emerging performance issues with automatic trend-based alerts
- Integrate with Splunk for long-term trending, historical analysis, and correlation with system-level data
 Gartner Research, "Magic Quadrant for Data Warehouse Database Management Systems," February 2012
 IDC, "Worldwide Big Data Technology and Services 2012–2015 Forecast," March 2012