This morning it came to our attention that the ExtraHop name is being used as part of a phishing scam involving job postings. Certain job listings on Indeed.com leading to the fake domain ExtraHopNet.com are part of this scam, and are not legitimate postings or in any way associated with ExtraHop. Individuals claiming to be or to represent ExtraHop recruiters engage candidates online and then ask for financial and personal information during the recruitment process.
First, we would like to assure you that this phishing scam is not the result of a breach of ExtraHop systems or data. Unfortunately, phishing scams using existing company names are common, and make use of only publicly available information.
Second, please know that ExtraHop will never ask you for any type of financial information at any time during the recruiting process.
As soon as this phishing scam came to light, we immediately took the following action to stop its spread:
- Contacted recruiting sites on which the fake job listings appear to request immediate removal
- Contacted Google and the domain host for ExtraHopNet.com to report the scam and request remedial action, including removal of the ExtraHopNet.com website.
- Reported the scam to the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center.
- Shared the phishing posts and associated emails, domains, etc., with the Anti Phishing Working Group, a public-private partnership against cybercrime.
If you believe that you may be a victim of this phishing attack, below are links to several resources where you can report and recover from identity theft:
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- Visit www.IdentifyTheft.gov to report and get resources for dealing with identity theft.
- Visit the FTC consumer information site to learn how to protect yourself online and avoid phishing attacks, as well as protect against identity theft.
- Call the Office of the Attorney General (or similar law enforcement) for the state where you live to report. You can also call the Office of the Attorney General for the State of Washington at 1-800-551-4636
If you would like to reach an ExtraHop recruiter directly, please email email@example.com.